Sunday, February 24, 2008




This is a piece I began from a photograph and one of which I am particularly proud. For me, it has some scale issues but it has a way of holding my attention and asking me to keep my eyes moving across its entire surface. I know somewhere along the line someone suggested to me that a good picture was one that among other things didn't draw the attention of the viewer to one place.

Although I don't like being hostage to a photo in my work, sometimes they do come in handy for reference. I can say in this piece that I referred to the photo when I began the watercolor "under painting". I tried to represent the basic shape of the hull and place some of the surrounding "supports" in relation to the vessel by making reference to the photo but, to the extent the subject holds symbolism, I like to think that the work accomplished thereafter was the "art".



The vessel looks to be pointed toward light but any move it makes will require some coordination. Maybe we all look for direction.


The piece measures 47" x 44" and was executed with watercolor, charcoal and pastel. It was completed on 120# cold press acid free paper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this! It has so much detail! Probably one of my favorites :) Nina