Sunday, August 12, 2012

Report: Page One

Untitled/Unfinished!
Oil on canvas
48" x 36"

Ok, so here it goes.  I'm feeling like I want to publish these, although at least the work above is, sad to say, a continuing work in progress. I'll search through my computer collection of images and see if I can locate some earlier versions of this.  It is, I feel, productive to look at the path a piece takes.  Doing this work without tracing the evolution almost denies the process.  Well, maybe that's a bit strong but picture making for me is a process containing (hopefully) a  gradual recognition of what's going on, sort of.  I search through planes of balance, symmetry, color and sometimes symbol. This is what this is right now!
Untitled/Unfinished
Oil on canvas
48" x 36"

 
Well, this one is in the same category as her partner...except that it has a lot less activity in terms of floating objects with rough similarity to flowers and leaves in addition to flowing ball bearings.  I think I know where I'm headed, visually speaking, with this.  Symbolically, well that's maybe a different story.  Just another Venus?  I see her that way but she's coiled, almost avoiding discovery, floating and not attached.........

Two "modernist" landscape inspired pictures are below.  The horizon with the hills challenged me and in a flourish last week I made changes I think resolve it.  Anyway, I'm going to hang it over the living room sofa!
The rising horizon looks almost a tropical setting but the inspiration was a trip to the hill town of Conway.  Actually finished it a few months ago; just got around to taking this photograph today!
 Untitled
Oil on canvas
18" x 24"

Untitled
Oil on canvas
24" x 36"




Lastly (for today/Page 2 tomorrow!) something I worked on for over a year before sorting it out. 
Untitled
Oil on board
16" x 20"
  

No comments: